Data Center Compute & Networking Multi-Vendor Reference Design
The RapidIO Trade Association has released Phase 1 of the Data Center Compute and Networking Task Group (DCCN) reference design. The DCCN System, is targeted at Server, Data Center and Supercomputing applications and showcases the strength of the entire RapidIO ecosystem with multi-vendor collaboration.
This initial DCCN reference design, built by RapidIO member Prodrive Technologies, is vendor and processor agnostic, and the design specifications are being made available to other open standards in the computing industry (e.g. Open Compute Project and Scorpio) and is available for use by OEM’s of computing and data center infrastructure, research labs and government organizations.
Key features of the DCCN System include:
- Processor Architecture independent
- 8x 2.5” HDD storage bays (SATA-3)
- Up to four industry standard AMC daughter cards
- 40G RapidIO per daughter card
- 2x 20 Gbps quad-lane
- 80G RapidIO to the back rack
- 4x 20 Gbps quad-lane
- 20G RapidIO Internal link bandwidth
- 10G Ethernet per daughter card
- 1x 10 Gigabit Ethernet
- 40G Ethernet to back rack
- 2x 1G Ethernet to back rack
- 4x 1G Ethernet to daughter card
- IDT 160G RapidIO switching capacity, with sub 100ns latency
- TI DSP/ARM 470 x 4 ≈ 2 Tflops
- Freescale Dual core PowerPC @ 2.1 GHz x 4 (total 8 cores)
- Intel x86 Quad Core i7 @ 2.1 GHz
- Xilinx FPGAs
- 412k x 4 = 1648k logic cells
- 64k4 x 4 = 257k6 slices
Under the leadership of DCCN Task Group chair, Prodrive’s Marco Rietveld (firstname.lastname@example.org), the DCCN team has worked collaboratively to create designs using existing RapidIO semiconductors, boards and firmware, to address the needs of server systems in 19 or 21 inch rack form factors. This work shows the tremendous benefits of the RapidIO architecture in general computing, super computing or analytics driven server applications that require low latency, low power and scalable peer to peer inter processor communication.
Click here to become a RapidIO member and participate in our DCCN initiative.
RapidIO member companies supporting the DCCN reference design include: